Happy Saturday, folks!
Most importantly, happy first day of Halloween! On a rainy day that didn’t allow for much outdoor activity, I saw a pumpkin decor project on Pinterest that I wanted to try and duplicate. It involved inserting thumb tacks into a foam pumpkin, creating a solid gold or silver base instead of your typical orange gourd.
I knew that my lovely husband would help, as he does with everything else, so I sent him out to get the supplies we’d need! I suggested he visit our local dollar store, as a lot of the items needed could be purchased there to save some money and keep this a project for any budget. We completed these pumpkins for a grand total of $10. Granted, we already had the hot glue gun (which you don’t need if you aren’t going to add a vine to the pumpkins) but that ten dollars also made us three awesome pumpkins!
For three pumpkins, you will need:
6 gold thumb tack packs (300 count) * silver can be used, as well.
3 foam pumpkins (large, medium and small size)
1 artificial autumn leaves vine
- hot glue gun optional
- Insert tacks around stem of pumpkin in a circular formation (see picture below)
- If the stem is Styrofoam as well, cover it completely with tacks
- Starting at bottom of stem, work your way down the pumpkin in the same circular formation. Shingle tacks slightly to make sure entire pumpkin surface is covered.
- When pumpkin is completely covered, choose the leaf you prefer from the autumn vine and find a spot near the stem where there is a gap between two thumb tacks. Using a tack, make a hole in the gap for the leaf/vine.
- Fill tack hole with hot glue and then insert leaf stem/vine.
Voila! You have a beautiful modern decoration to be the highlight of any room!